Riga St Jacob’s Cathedral
Rīga – Salaspils
The Roman Catholic Cathedral of Riga St. Jacob is the cathedral of the congregation of the Roman Catholic Riga Arhidiacesis, and the Archbishop’s residence in Old Riga, Jacob Street 9, built in 1225. Historically, the first Latvian parish church in Riga (1523). The first wooden church of St. Jacob was built in 1203 following the orders of the Turaida Liaison Chief Kaupo, who received the sacrament of Christ during the life of St. Maynard. Unfortunately, in 1215 the first church burned in the big Riga fire. Next Church of Jacob (already from brick) was erected at the end of Romanesque period from 1215 to 1225, when ancient Riga extended its borders beyond the protected wall of the city, covering the entire area of the present old town. In 1225 The Church of St. Jacob has been mentioned for the first time in the documents, but the exact year of building the church is unknown. This relatively small church (approximately 50 m length) has a rather expressive tall tower (86 m), which preserved the pyramidal shape of the towers of the medieval Churches of Riga (the church tower is not covered by cross but rooster).
Open times to get passport of pilgrim:
7am-1pm and 2.30pm – 6pm