Riga Central Market
Rīga – Salaspils
“Riga Central Market” is located in the very center of Riga – in the most colorful place in the city. Its construction began in June 1924, but was completed in the autumn of 1930. Rigans could be proud of the largest and most modern market in Europe.
A vivid symbol of the Central Market is the architecturally expressive pavilions built in the 1920s. It turns out that they were originally built as airship hangars for military purposes, later it was decided to use them as market pavilions. After adjusting the structures, the height of the halls was 20.5 meters, width – 35 meter 6 million bricks, 2,460 tons of iron and 60,000 barrels of cement have been used to build powerful buildings. Under the pavilions, basements were concreted – a 2 hectare underground town with main and side ones connected by a 337 m long traffic corridor.
There are elements of Art Nouveau in the market architecture, as well as the influence of pre-war neoclassicism. Art-deco interpretations can be observed in the design of certain historical details of the facades.
In 1998, the market area, forming one whole with the old town, was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Today, the market is a popular place for shopping, as well as an interesting place for tourists. It is still one of the largest market squares in European city centers, with an area of 72,300 m2. The approximate number of market visitors ranges from 40,000 to 160,000 per day.
Taste lightly salted cucumber, buy fresh vegetables, treat yourself to smoked eel from night before or go for an exciting walk around the Riga Central Market!