Jesus Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riga
Rīga – Salaspils
Rigas Jesus Evangelical Lutheran Church is the largest historical wooden building in Latvia, as well as one of the largest wooden churches in Europe.
The church was built between 1818 and 1822. The author of the project is Christian Friedrich Breitkreics, but the construction was completed by the architect Johann Peter Krik. The church has an atypical form: it is based on a regular octagon surrounded by four extensions. The church tower is two-storey, it is 37 meters high. The church is a log building, the load-bearing columns are also made of wood. There are no stained glass in the church today, but there may have been one in the past. The bell has survived from 1708. The church organ was built in Germany in 1889, and in 1992 it was reconstructed.