Vecumnieki Evangelical Lutheran Church
Ķegums – Vecumnieki
The Old Believers’ Church was among the 70 churches ordered by Duke Gotthard Kettler to establish in Kurzeme and Zemgale on February 28, 1567.
This is evidenced by its 1583 bell. In 1583 when bell was made,sentence with :”De Gemene von Dūtschen und byren im Thal tum Niengode 1583″ was left.
There are currently three bells in the bell tower. On September 20, 1929, a new bronze bell was consecrated with the inscription: “The first bell of Vecmuiža parish was cast in 1583. The same bell was cast in 1806. A new bell was given to the church from Baroness Natalia V. Diesterloh. These two calls to God in honor of the congregation came together at the expense of the church in 1863. The current bell was transferred in 1929. with donations from church members and community organizations, increasing the weight of the bell from 12 to 20 puds”
The church has been both a wooden building and a stone building. It has been restored several times after fires, destruction and demolishe. Apart from a few wartime periods when the church tower was shot or the hospital had an infirmary, the church was never closed. The word of God has always been preached here, and wise, selfless people have always learned to preserve and maintain the Church of the Elders.