Orthodox Church of St. Sergey of Radonezh
Strenči – Valmiera
A rumour was spread in the middle of the 19 century, that by changing one’s religious affiliation, one would be given land and cattle. It was a reason why many Latvian peasants turned to the Orthodox belief. In 1846 an Orthodox congregation was established in Valmiera, a year later a wooden church was built, but in 1879 a new brick church was built, its architect was the first Latvian architect with an academic education, Jānis Frīdrihs Baumanis.
The church was built of split fieldstone, the eaves, cornices and corners of the building made from the local red brick material.