Cēsis Old Town
Liepa – Cēsis
The name of Cēsis (Wenden) in the historical sources first appeared in 1206, but Cēsis as a city in documents was mentioned only in the year 1323. Until the Livonian war (1558-1582) Cēsis stood out among the other small towns of Livonia. In the castle periodically in the 13-15th centuries and constantly from the year 1481, the residence of the master of the Livonian Order – the feudal lord of the city – existed. Cēsis was a member of the Hanseatic League.
Bells and cannons were made here, and from the 15th century there was a Mint of the master of the Livonian Order.